My Music Video!

My Website

My Website
Please click here to view my website!

Sunday, October 6, 2019

Post 6: My chosen track

When choosing my track, I wanted to ensure that it was a popular song that did well on the charts. This was because I wanted to ensure that it's sound had mass appeal. I eventually finalized my choices down to 2 songs:


Whenever, Wherever - Shakira
Laundry Service (2001)
Epic Records


Confident - Demi Lovato
Confident (2015)
Hollywood, Island, Republic and Safehouse Records




Both songs fall under the genre of pop (in accord with the brief) and both had great success. 'Whenever, Wherever' won three awards (including the NRJ Music Award for International Song of the Year in 2003) whilst 'Confident' was nominated for 3 awards and has featured in many film trailers (notably Happy Death Day and Into the Spiderverse). Therefore it was clear that both songs has mass appeal.

Ultimately, I decided to choose 'Confident' as it had influences of pop-rock and heavy use of brass instruments which I felt would match well with the popularity of pop-rock and soul in Britain (mentioned prior). Furthermore, 'Whenever, Wherever' had heavy influence of Latin music which was also overpowering and took away from the overall sound of pop which I felt decreased my attraction to the song.

After choosing to do 'Confident', I decided to have a look at the lyrics to analyse and interperete the meaning of them and themes that I could find. I did this so that I could better understand my track, and later, create a narrative that would match the track well.

I ended up finding themes of being underestimated by others, self-belief and confidence, and being in control of your own life.

These were very strong themes which matched with the bold narrative and settings in the music video which features fighting, prison life and teamwork.


The following stills show strong themes throughout the overall music video.
Still from MV of prison setting
Still from MV of fighting
Still from MV of teamwork



No comments:

Post a Comment